Indiana 4-H is hosting an Experience 4-H @ Purdue: Science of Sound event for youth in grades 6-8. The event will be held on April 14th from 9am-3pm at Purdue University in West Lafayette.
During this one-day learning event, through hands-on activities and exploration, youth will learn:
1) What is sound? (soundwaves, generating sound, how the different lengths of soundwaves changes the type of sound, how does sound change with volume, decibels affect hearing etc.).
2) How do electronic components generate sound?
3) How to make sound combing electronic components with found objects (“junk drawer instrument”).
The aim of this event is to help reach youth who:
1) Have an interest in electronics/electrical engineering/computer science and this is a new area to challenge/inspire them
2) Have an interest in music and want to experience a non-traditional music event
3) Have no experience in either music or electronics/engineering, but want an opportunity that they may not currently have access to – that this event does not require youth to have previous knowledge of either topic.
Throughout the event, youth will learn science principles alongside application. Each youth will get to create their own electronic sound machine/instrument to take home to continue their exploration of sound!
A $10 registration fee will be required for participation and lunch will be provided. Registration will close on April 1st.
For youth to register, have parents/guardians visit: bit.ly/4hsound
Please see the attached flyer and feel free to share with other organizations. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your consideration and we look forward to seeing your students at Experience 4-H @ Purdue: Science of Sound.
All the Best,
Arin Weidner, MS, MEd
Purdue University – Indiana 4-H
Educational Technology Specialist