As the Director of Learning Design and Technology, it is my job to work cooperatively with administrators, teachers and parents to ensure our students have the best tools and technology to enhance our ability to create a 21st Century learning environment and to Prepare Students for Life. It is also my job to work with the same group to ensure that we are doing this in a responsible manner, keeping within our budgets, staying true to our Mission, and working cooperatively with our parents to keep our students safe.
In keeping with this effort and through consultation with parents, we have enhanced and modified some of our policies and technology to help ensure that our students’ laptops are used first and foremost as an educational tool and that we are ensuring that this technology fosters a safe and Christian environment. Today we outlined for our students some of those changes which include:
- Enhanced keyword filtering in all of the most popular search engines (Google, Bing, and Yahoo).
- Blocked access to alternative search engines not filtered by our enhanced keyword filtering software.
- Enforced YouTube safe search for all junior high students.
- Restricted junior high student access to popular social media, video streaming, and gaming websites.
- Group policy enforcement which will allow a committee of parents, teachers, administrators, students and technology team members to refine access to specific student groups based on committee recommendations.*
*This feature will allow students who are in good academic standing and consistently demonstrate strong Catholic values to receive expanded access and privileges.
We understand that you, as the parents, are the primary educators of your children, and we hope you will understand and appreciate the enhancements we recently made to our already robust content filters. We hope these changes are seen as a positive step in keeping with our efforts to Prepare Students for Life and to stay true to our Mission. To learn more about these changes and to provide input on future policy decisions, please join the Learning Design and Technology Team in McHale Gym on Wednesday, March 23rd from 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. We are here to serve you and your students.
Director of Learning Design and Technology